We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Translation Manager position with a British medical research charity. This is a permanent position that will be based out of a leading academic institution in the West Midlands, United Kingdom.
The Translation Manager will be accountable for opportunity sourcing and translation of charity-funded resources at a leading academic institution in the West Midlands. The Translation Manager will be responsible for delivering regional strategic objectives to support the attainment of overall charity targets.
- Build and maintain strong, integrated relationships with senior management figures and charity-funded scientists at your specified Centre/Institute/University(s)
- Develop a deep understanding of the research landscape at allocated research site(s) and identify increased collaborative and translational funding opportunities to accelerate progress
- Provide appropriate technology transfer services and manage intellectual property protection for portfolio projects in a timely manner, with support from line manager as needed.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues from other regions to proactively seek collaborative and synergistic interactions.
- Work in collaboration with internal colleagues focused in other research core function teams to deliver on overall operations, performance and strategies;
- Contribute to developing and implementing strategy to enhance and grow the entrepreneurial culture across charity-funded researchers, to maximise output of charity funding
- Provide scientific translational advice to scientists, major centres and institutions through well-developed communication links
- Undertake routine contract negotiation and management for allocated sites in liaison with Business Development and Legal colleagues as required e.g. research collaboration agreements, with support from line manager as needed.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- PhD (or equivalent) in a scientific or healthcare discipline, ideally oncology/technology-related.
- Some experience in translating discovery research and pre-clinical science gained in sectors such as medical technologies, diagnostics, healthcare technologies and pharmaceuticals. This experience may have been gained in industry, healthcare, academia or in non-profit organisations.
- Ideally, a working knowledge and experience of the patent filing and prosecution process
- Ability to drive an entrepreneurial spirit and think creatively
- Proven competences in:
- Driving to ensure that the best possible high standard of results is delivered to our stakeholders;
- Grasping technical concepts quickly, and translating these into commercially viable proposals;
- Working effectively with key stakeholders, showing excellent influencing skills and where appropriate having tenacity and persistence;
- Deploying excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships;
- Identifying strategies for transferring technologies to industry;
- Work collaboratively within a cross-functional team to deliver the scientific, commercial and operational objectives of the overall function.
- Knowledge and awareness of oncology drug/technology discovery, IP protection and development and associated science
- Scientific judgement and project management skills, together with a talent for business acumen and operational delivery