We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Senior R&D Scientist role with a leading global provider of Pharmaceutical, Nutritional and Functional Ingredients. This is a permanent position that will be based out of the Greater Dublin Area, Ireland.
The Senior R&D Scientist will play a key role in the development of new scientific innovations within the Proteins team. The successful candidate will manage and deliver key customer development projects; support RD&A with product development insights, analytical and application expertise; take on a key role in the management of strategic research projects; and provide technical direction to other team members.
- Conducts detailed research for the improvement of existing products and the timely development of new products, manufacturing procedures and specifications.
- Ensures that ingredient functionality will meet customer expectations.
- Oversees end product application trials to support new developments, sales and customer presentations.
- Understands key commercial requirements of the Protein and Human Nutrition End Use Markets.
- Implements industry recognised methods and standards.
- Keeps up to date on key scientific developments and best practice requirements.
- Develops and refines analytical methodology as required .
- Responsible for product development in the laboratory and pilot plant and ultimately to scale up in the factory.
- Works closely with other functions such as the Operations, Sales, Marketing and Application teams to develop integrated and innovative solutions and also to resolve problems.
- Works closely with internal and external customers and suppliers to develop innovative solutions and resolve technical problems.
- Develops robust recipes, processes and application stability through a thorough understanding of food product design and the fundamental chemical interactions occurring in food products.
- Interacts and troubleshoots with customers on key developments and applications leading to the formation of strong technical relationships with peers at key accounts.
- Development of strong application knowledge within relevant food categories and acts as a key technical advisor to other colleagues in product development.
- Assists Customers/Sales with any technical issues that may arise.
- Ensures new developments align with legislation requirements in the regional or global markets where sales are expected, including any special criteria such as infant nutrition, organic, allergen and GM requirements.
- Participates in designated projects and ensures appropriate documentation of experimental trials and outcomes to facilitate scale up and product transfer to manufacturing.
- Ensures that good laboratory practices and lab protocols are being utilised.
- Documents all research notes in Laboratory notebooks and computer databases and records and disseminates key learnings.
- Builds scientific knowledge through interactions with other managers and Directors and by regular literature reviews, regulatory monitoring, and application studies. Reviews scientific literature to guide thinking on specific projects.
- Establishes strong relationships with relevant Research Institutes/Universities to further develop scientific/application knowledge and pilot plant capabilities.
- Leverage relationships to identify potential new hires and/or resources that may be valuable to the company.
- Attends trade shows, conferences, scientific meetings as necessary.
- Give competent presentations to inform customers, the sales team and industry contacts.
- Provides coaching and mentoring to junior scientists.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Research MSc/PhD in Dairy Chemistry, Dairy Technology, Food Science or Protein Chemistry desirable; Bachelor of Science in Food Technology/Food Science or other related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in food research.
- Experience in analytical techniques such as spectroscopy, electrophoresis, chromatography
- Experience in process technology with particular emphasis on hydrostatic processing, spraydrying techniques and pilot plant operation.
- Experience in fermentation techniques, enzyme hydrolysis and protein chemistry desirable.
- Experience in Membrane separation techniques including Ultrafiltration and Microfiltration desirable.
- In depth knowledge of Human Nutrition and a thorough understanding of current trends in this area desirable.
- Good Commercial awareness and Market focus
- Excellent Communication Skills and Knowledge sharing ability.
- Technical and Functional Expertise in proteins, particularly as related to Human Nutrition
- Excellent Innovation and Creative skills to develop and create a competitive advantage
- Drive and Determination to overcome challenges and develop timely solutions