We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Principal Scientist position with the Analytical Chemistry segment of a leading global multinational life sciences company. This is a permanent position that will be based out of Pennsylvania, United States.
The Principal Scientist will lead the development of new products and provide strategic insights for the design of products and product lines. Through direct interactions with customers and industry leaders and interactions with marketing, the Principal Scientist will ensure product design inputs meet customer requirements and will provide leadership in project teams and a mentoring relationship for the professional development of other chemists assigned to the group. The Principal Scientist is also responsible for development and the transfer of new products and processes into production, and in the transfer of new technology into existing company structures.
- Develop research plans for proposed new product development projects.
- Perform the required laboratory work with the support of other chemists when applicable.
- Identify the critical paths and technical milestones.
- Work with multifunction teams to bring both applied and fundamental expertise to projects
- Generate progress reports and coordinate projects with project managers/team leaders.
- Develop appropriate specifications, manufacturing, and QA documents for new products.
- Ensure that design inputs are in line with customer needs: understand competitive technologies already on the market and develop testing protocols that would meet product requirements, ex. detection sensitivity and precision. This will require a proven competency in the fundamental theory and operation of LCMS techniques (GCMS would also be beneficial).
- Develop Workflow Applications in support of new and existing products which require knowledge of sample preparation techniques such as Solid Phase Extraction, Solid Phase Micro Extraction.
- Maintain a research notebook keeping accurate notes and records including conclusions.
- Maintain company guidelines for safety, compliance, and cGMP where applicable
- Develop strategies to add new products and support old products by attending tradeshows and scientific meetings to determine customer needs and to gain understanding of customer analytical workflow problems that need to be solved; by networking with Industry Leaders and the scientific community; by writing articles, presenting seminars and posters to the scientific community to assist marketing in promotion and acceptance of new technologies; by bringing in new technologies for the company and working with Marketing to help ensure their acceptance in the market place.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- PhD in Chemistry or closely related field with 6-10 years demonstrated experience in technology or product development
- At least 2+years working in industry
- Must have MS experience, particularly LCMS and GCMS and sample prep experience. Solid phase extraction and solid phase micro extraction experience desirable but not required
- Experience with small molecules
- 50% of this person’s time will be spent in the lab, 20% will be in project meetings and 30% will be in marketing support