We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Managing Director role with Nottingham Trent University’s Medical Technologies Innovation Facility. This is a permanent position that will be based out of brand new facilities in Nottingham, United Kingdom.
NTU is currently in the process of developing its Medical Technologies Innovation Facility (MTIF). This dual site development will comprise a 2,500m2 new building at NTU Clifton and a 1,000m2 new building at the Boots Enterprise Zone. Both will be equipped with laboratories, clean rooms and specialist equipment, facilitating a collaborative innovation space in which dedicated staff will research and develop new products and services. The centre, due to open in August 2020, aims to develop close relationships with industry and to accelerate the development of a broad range of medical technologies, resulting in more products going to market and ultimately improving patient care.
This is a significant infrastructure and people investment, initially amounting to some £23m. It is part funded by The Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Local Enterprise Partnership (D2N2 LEP). NTU will be leading the project, working collaboratively with selected local strategic partners such as BioCity Group, Medilink, CHEATA and the Derby and Nottingham NHS Trusts, in order to create an attractive service offering to industry players both local and international. MTIF will offer service features that can create benefits for companies of all sizes and will be an attractive development partner for Start-Ups, Small Medium Enterprises, and Large Enterprises who operate within the healthcare, life sciences, med-tech and pharma industries. The centre will have a strong focus on medical device development.
- To develop, in conjunction with the Board, the MTIF centre’s strategy and direction, both in terms of research and commercialisation.
- To lead the development and operationalisation of the MTIF centre, with line management responsibility for the staff employed within.
- To establish the MTIF centre and deliver growth and revenue in line with the Business Plan as well as outputs relating to funding commitments.
- To report to the NTU Board on a quarterly basis with respect to progress as described in the Business Plan.
- To engage with industry in medical device and medical technology sectors with the purpose of generating a portfolio of commercial customers paying directly for services supplied by MTIF and a portfolio of customers participating in collaborative projects funded through grants.
- To be proactive in understanding the grant availability landscape relevant to MTIF activities and goals focusing on existing traditional opportunities as well as exploring new opportunities (philanthropic for example).
- To work with Professor and Head of NTU Strategic Research Theme to identify interdisciplinary research that is, or has the potential to be, world-class and to develop the activity as a pipeline for commercial medical technologies.
- To manage and maintain a core of Strategic Partner organisations that bring complementary services to MTIF, ensuring they add value to the total offering, performing to an agreed standard. Ensuring the portfolio of partners is updated and aligned with the strategic goals and direction of MTIF.
- To proactively identify and engage with other establishments (private, healthcare trusts, governmental, licensing and regulatory bodies and other universities) for the purpose of collaborating and generating mutual benefit aligned with MTIF’s strategy.
- To ensure that impactful industry lead research that contributes to REF is carried out that is internationally recognized in terms of originality, significance and rigour associated with the specific research themes.
- To promote MTIF using a variety of marketing channels such as a bespoke website, social media, press releases, industrial and academic conferences and medical technology related trade shows.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- PhD (or equivalent) in a scientific or healthcare discipline.
- Knowledge and understanding of medical technology in a broad sense (from personalised medicine and in-vitro diagnostics to medical devices and digital health) and a detailed understanding of the product development cycle from concept to commercialisation for medical devices.
- Ability to translate industrially driven strategies and market needs in medical technology and devices into a strategy for MTIF.
- Significant recent experience of a senior role in a medical technology related organisation that can demonstrate a high degree of commercial activity and responsibility.