We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Head of Protein Sciences role with a global biotechnology company specialising in antibodies and related products. This is a permanent position that will be based out of the Golden Triangle region of the United Kingdom.
The Head of Protein Sciences will help to set up and lead a team of scientists working to express, purify and characterize high quality recombinant proteins for use as antigens in the Company’s discovery pipelines or for development as stand-alone products. The role will involve frequent interaction with business partners based in the US and China. The ability to manage a portfolio of expression projects, predict probability of success, design the most appropriate production route and prioritize resources on the basis of experimental data will be key.
- Line management of a team of scientist focused on recombinant protein production.
- Experience of the molecular biology (cloning, protein domain expression, mutagenesis) required for successful recombinant production of multiple protein classes.
- Understanding of the requirements of Mammalian and E.coli over-expression systems.
- Understanding of purification techniques used for secreted and intracellular expression (native, affinity tagged).
- Be able to design and supervise the assays (aggregation, identity) required to identify quality proteins.
- Work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, ensuring the Protein/Antigen Groups output is fit for purpose and meets agreed expectations.
- In collaboration with Project Management, able to monitor multiple protein expression projects, checking milestone completion and ensuring output of the group meets agreed targets.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A BS Degree in biochemistry, pathology, cell and molecular biology, immunology or other Life Sciences.
- A PhD or equivalent research experience preferred
- Industrial/academic experience in delivering multiple protein expression projects to tight deadlines.
- Desired experience on antibody technology and antibody application development.
- A track record of delivering successful innovation projects and products
- Commercial experience in Biotech industry
- Demonstrated capabilities in recruiting and managing teams of scientists.
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player with strong problem solving capabilities.
- Collaborative worker, ideally with experience of working with numerous international business partners.
- Excellent communication and organizational skill is required.