We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Field Application Scientist role with a global leader in immunodiagnostics. This is a permanent position that will be based out of the Bay Area, California, USA with responsibility for accounts across the West Coast.
The purpose of this role is to provide pre- and post-sales application support to the Company’s users as well as to stimulate the initial acceptance and consumption of reagent products. The FAS will be responsible for working along with the account manager responsible for developing new customers, taking initiative in ensuring customers are benefiting from the full value of the technology, and proactively finding new areas of opportunity. This position requires a good understanding of immunochemistry, including the development and implementation of immunoassays, and the ability to work in a pressurized environment. As this is a customer-facing role, one must have a confident communication style and have the ability to listen and respond in a clear and logical manner. As a field-based employee, this position requires initiative and time management skills with regard to positively impacting revenue.
- Work closely with the Account Manager as an account development team.
- Serve as first point of contact to provide technical assistance and assay troubleshooting at customer site.
- Work with Assay Development staff on new products, product improvement and/or revisions as appropriate.
- Proactively drive on-site follow up with customers for technical needs and issues.
- Support seminar and trade show activities as a technical expert.
- Successfully recognize sales opportunities and funnel them to the Account Management team.
- Drive expanded use of Company systems and products at installed accounts.
- Travel (50%) for customer demonstrations, tradeshow exhibitions, strategic presentations and application support visits.
- Provide customers with product information, pre/post-sales support and technical advice.
- Provide market feedback to sales, marketing and operations as appropriate.
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- MS degree in biology or biochemistry, or a minimum of three years’ experience in an assay development or diagnostic / product-related field. (PhD preferred)
- Three to five years of field based sales or customer care experience within the pharmaceutical and academic sectors, with solid business acumen.
- Must possess strong listening and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all personality types.
- Sound understanding of immunoassay-based products and adequate laboratory skills to perform assays in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for use, or to suggest alternative methods.
- Must be capable of multitasking and be an effective time manager.
- Polished professional with strong interpersonal, presentation, grammatical, spelling, proofreading, telephone etiquette, and social skills.
- Professional appearance and demeanour.
- Basic knowledge of all Microsoft Office products (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word) and proficiency in using desktop publishing software and database programs, as well as proficient internet research skills.
- Ability to use diplomacy and handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly, exhibiting honesty, integrity, discretion, and sound judgement at all times.
- Good organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities, projects, and workflow.
- Attention to detail, with a commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Knowledge of general office concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Ability to work on projects with general direction and minimal guidance, managing multiple priorities through to completion in a timely manner.
- Versatility, creativity, flexibility, and latitude with a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Proactive, motivated, and focused team-player attitude, self-sufficient, and prepared to go “above and beyond” on a regular basis.
- Creative, innovative individual who works well in a fast‑paced environment.