We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Director of Innovation role with a leading global provider of Pharmaceutical, Nutrition and Functional Ingredients. This is a permanent position that will be based out of the Greater Dublin Area, Ireland.
The Director of Innovation for the Enzymes business develops and implements strategic plans to execute key R&D initiatives to help maximize profitable growth. The role entails a significant focus on developing innovative enzyme solutions, frequently in partnership with application groups, to solve customer problems. The candidate will oversee proactive innovation projects, customer initiated development projects and all new product development as well as fermentation research aimed at developing new enzyme fermentation processes and delivering yield improvements on existing fermentations. It requires working in partnership with business development, applications groups, sales, marketing, regulatory, operations, quality, finance, etc. to ensure internal and external customer expectations are met. The successful candidate will have a leadership role in the management of the Enzyme business and developing the business strategy.
- Lead the R&D team in the execution of multiple projects concurrently.
- Oversee the development of new products from ideation to commercialization. Transfer technologies from pilot to manufacturing scale and successfully manage the implementation of differentiated technical solutions.
- Support innovation across multiple end use market segments ensuring new products & improvements meet the requirements of the business.
- Interpret data in order to provide technical direction to projects.
- Oversee technical investigations, formulation and process improvement initiatives.
- Partner with business development, marketing and finance to develop strategic R&D objectives aligned with evolving market conditions.
- Define metrics to measure R&D performance against business objectives.
- Meet R&D targets & key performance indicators.
- Communicate benefits of the technologies developed internally and externally through clear and concise oral and written communications.
- Develop external strategic relationships with technical counterparts.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of the market and competitive landscape.
- Develop and manage detailed budgets in accordance with business targets.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with Universities and Research Institutes. Seek out and create new venture opportunities. Establish business relationships with subject matter experts and negotiate development contracts.
- Select, develop, motivate and empower staff to effectively fulfil their functions.
- Align dedicated and shared resources cross functionally to effectively deliver on business priorities.
EDUCATION, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A Masters of PhD in Enzymology, Biochemistry, Food Science, Microbiology, Genetics or a related subject is required.
- Knowledge of Enzyme applications, assay development, protein separation and enzyme fermentation would be a distinct advantage.
- 5 – 10 years of experience in product development with at least 5 of those years spent managing technical individuals.
- Strong industrial experience in product innovation, enzymology and fermentation is required.
- Familiarity with the ingredient business is desired. Requires extensive knowledge of fermentation derived ingredients.
- Strong leadership, management and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial skills and experience
- Ability to dive and motive teams to deliver on the R&D objectives for the business
- Ability to interface at all levels of the organization
- Ability to manage and resolve conflict keeping the best interest of the business in mind
- High ethical standards with the ability to make sound judgements
- Professional demeanour with strong communication skills
- Ability to develop and deliver succinct, relevant, and professional presentations
- Ability to set priorities, manage projects, and drive results
- Strong problem solver with ability to make decisions
- Strong computer skills (Windows, MS Office and Quality Systems)
- Analytical skills with a strong business background